[Dspace-general] Licenses

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Fri Jun 4 17:56:42 EDT 2004

Hi Merle,

At MIT we do not produce a paper copy of the submission license (signed or
otherwise) -- I think that would be extremely impractical for the volume of
submissions we get. The default license does cover the case where the
submitter is not the author, requiring that they (the submitter) have the
authority to approve the license on behalf of the author (whether the
submitter is a department's admin assistant submitting a paper on behalf of
a faculty member, or whether the submitter is a faculty member submitting a
paper she co-authored with others, etc.)

We have a verbal agreement with new Communities when they join, but do not
require them to sign a legal MOU (as does, for example, the CDL
eScholarship repository). Some institutions will definitely want to
consider a legal agreement with Communities, but we felt it was too much
here, and would frighten off potential Communities unnecessarily.

We're also in the process of adding support to DSpace for (optional)
Creative Commons licenses (US version) which would cover the end-user
rights to use the content -- yet another twist on the copyright and
licensing maze!

This is murky legal territory, and there is risk involved, but we hope to
use this opportunity to educate ourselves and our faculty about what our
options really are.

I hope this is helpful,

MacKenzie