[Dspace-general] DSpace Position Paper - HP Labs (fwd)

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 29 10:59:53 EDT 2004

Hi Tom,

I was going to respond to your post on dspace-tech, but since you copied it
here I'll reply to both lists at once. First let me say that I don't
presume to speak for Rob, or HP Labs, in any way... I just represent how
MIT fits into the DSpace open source software community, and I have talked
to HP about their ongoing interests so I know a bit about where they're
coming from.
I'd also like to point out that the institution you work for (Cambridge
University) has a very active 'committer' in the person of Jim Downing, and
that he might have opinions about some of this too.
But here's my take on it:

-- At the user group meeting last March there was clear consensus that
DSpace should behave like other large/growing open source software
projects, and expand its development process to be more inclusive of people
from all the institutions who depend on the platform. That's why we created
the DSpace 'committer' group to manage the codebase, which you have a
representative on. This is standard practice in open source software
projects, and is based loosely on the Apache Foundation's model.

-- We also said then (and have repeatedly said since) that both MIT and HP
are committed to remaining actively involved in the DSpace project, but
will, as is standard practice in OSS communities, be focusing our limited
resources on the things that our organizations need most. We have in the
past devoted some resources to features that we didn't need ourselves, but
that is likely to become less common over time, as other institutions pick
up some of the load, including yours.

-- A thriving, successful open source software community can *only* exist
if *many* people are involved, and not just the originators (in fact,
there's a belief in some OSS quarters that a good project doesn't really
take off until the originator leave completely so that the community feels
free to do whatever they need to... we don't think we need to go that far,
but it's an illustrative point of view). As long as the user community
thinks of the originating organizations as a sort of unpaid vendor, the
thing will never work.

All of which goes to say that HP should focus on what HP wants from DSpace,
and right now that's the 2.0 architecture and a migration plan for getting
from here to there. But I think everyone realizes that development on the
1.x tree can't stop while 2.0 is being developed, so we (collectively) need
to be a bit creative about how to support both a short-term 1.x development
track and a 2.0 development track that neatly merge in a year or two. This
might turn out to be impossible, but that's the challenge for the
committers group, and particularly those working on the 2.0 effort.

Since DSpace is now a full-blown open source software project, what HP and
MIT do in relation to it should be somewhat irrelevant in the big picture,
except of course that we have some great programmers and good ideas about
where DSpace should go :-) So in a way, you shouldn't feel you need to ask
this question. If you want things to go one way or the other, lobby your
representative on the committers group (or get someone on the group if you
aren't represented). That's my opinion anyway, and I'll let Rob answer for
HP when he's back in town.

MacKenzie