[Dspace-general] Wash., DC-area person to talk to Music Librarians about DSpace?

Suzanne Bell sbell at library.rochester.edu
Tue Jan 6 15:26:32 EST 2004

Hi Folks-
 I am posting this message on behalf of Alice Carli, the Conservator at
our Sibley Music Library. Please respond directly to her at
acarli at esm.rochester.edu .
Thanks from both of us! :)

The Music Library Association Preservation Committee is looking for
someone involved with DSpace to participate in a panel discussion at
their annual meeting, which will be in:
Washington D.C.
on:
February 11-15, the Preservation Committee presentation being
12:30-2:00 pm on
Saturday 2/14. (Apologies for the short notice!)

More detail as supplied by Alice:
The topic of this year's public presentation will be Preservation and
Copyright, and is a joint project of the Preservation and Legislative
Committees. It is intended to be a minimally moderated discussion among
the
librarians in attendance, with input and elucidations sought from a
panel
which so far includes Sam Brylawski from the Library of Congress,
whose
expertise is in copyright, David Buecher, a preservation librarian
from
Berkeley, and Esther Gillie, who did sound preservation here at
Eastman
before going on to become Music Digital Services Coordinator at Urbana.
It
occurred to me somewhat belatedly that it would be good to include a
representative of Dspace, who could supply information about managing
copyright issues, as well as other Dspace strong points such as
"format
conservation" (or whatever the term is for the commitment to migration
as
necessary) at a consortium level.

I think it would be a good opportunity to introduce music librarians to
the
organization, since the audience will certainly include both people
like me,
from universities that are already members but who nonetheless have yet
begin thinking creatively about how to use Dspace, and many people who
will
be hearing about the organization for the first time. I could also
check
with members of the Preservation Committee to see if they would be
interested in inviting that person (assuming they come from the DC
area) to
attend the Preservation Committee business meeting, 3:00-4:30 on
Thursday
2/12. We have no budget for an honorarium, but it would be a good
opportunity for further networking.

Suzanne Bell, Economics/Data Librarian
DSpace Projects Coordinator
University of Rochester