[Dspace-tech] Re: [Dspace-general] DSpace Position Paper - HP Labs (fwd)

Tansley, Robert robert.tansley at hp.com
Tue Aug 3 12:57:18 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I think MacKenzie's comments are spot on.  The future of the DSpace platform relies on involvement from a wider community than just the individuals on the HP and MIT team.  A software project with the scope DSpace now finds it has needs a far greater pool of resources to work on it and move it forward.  If everyone relies on HP and MIT to fix bugs and implement features, the number of people in this pool will not grow sufficiently and progress will be slow.

So yes, by focussing on some architectural issues, HP is for the time being stepping back from the role of fixing bugs and implementing new features in 1.x; however, whether HP do that or not, other people need to step forward to take some of the load.  Perhaps now others will feel more freedom and incentive to contribute their bug fixes and code to the platform.

I'd also like to reinforce that HP does wish to remain involved in the DSpace project.  What we want to see happen, as stated in the position paper, is to move to a more robust and modular architecture.  Naturally, this also needs to be a group effort and can only move forward with involvement of others, in a way that makes sense for the whole community.

 Robert Tansley / Digital Media Systems Programme / HP Labs
  http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Robert_Tansley/