[Dspace-general] faculty buy-in

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 5 15:49:36 EDT 2004

Hi Jody,

Your question was the topic of many hours of discussion at the recent
DSpace users group meeting... it's pretty clear that getting faculty
participation (without extensive support from the library) isn't easy, if
only for lack of time and other priorities, and that information sharing
between institutions will be a big part of our collective strategy for
success. But I fear it's hard to answer your question in a forum like this
one... the MIT Libraries' marketing plan for our DSpace service, as one
example, takes too long to explain in an email (that anyone would have the
patience to read, much less write!).

One thing we've done about this is talk to SPARC about sponsoring an
"Institutional Repositories implementors workshop" in the fall -- similar
to the DSpace meeting but a) including users of other repository platforms
(e.g. EPrints, FEDORA, BEPress, Documentum, etc.) and b) focusing
exclusively on IRs rather than being general to a particular repository
platform. SPARC is very receptive to the idea, as long as we (the IR
community) are willing to help them plan the program for such an event. If
this is something the DSpace community who are building IRs would like to
see happen I will happily collect names and work with SPARC to create a
program planning committee.

Of course, if others would like to go ahead and write up there strategies
here, all the better! And the presentations on this subject that were given
at the DSpace meeting will be online later this week.

MacKenzie