[Dspace-general] Version Control

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 5 15:35:49 EDT 2004

This is certainly a potential problem in IRs (as it always was in print for
unpublished material). Within the context of the DSpace Federation it might
be possible, over time, to build in duplicate-detection routines that work
across DSpace instances using agreed upon Web Services or the like. Of
course, that will only work as well as the metadata available, which might
vary considerably from one institution to the next. Given the archival
nature of IRs, can you say a bit more about why you think duplicate copies
of material would be a big problem? Is it for forward refencing in the case
where a new version is deposited at one institution but not the others?

MacKenzie