[Dspace-general] Re: Dspace-general Digest, Vol 2, Issue 10

Sam Kalb Kalbs at post.queensu.ca
Mon Sep 29 12:42:36 EDT 2003

MacKenzie,
Where can we get information about the institutions and the changes they
have made - to assist some of us in setting up our DSpace projects?  I am
particularly interested in the addition of full-text indexing.
Sam

>Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 22:23:16 -0400
>From: MacKenzie Smith <kenzie at MIT.EDU>
>To: dspace-general at MIT.EDU
>Subject: Re: [Dspace-general] DSpace customisation
>Message: 1
>
>Hi Scott,
>
>The DSpace Federation project you asked about is still underway,
>but we've learned quite a bit on the subject since last fall. First of all,
>the DSpace software itself has not been extensively modified by
>other universities adopting it so far. Most of them have modified the
>UI to make it reflect their own institutional culture, and some have
>modified the submission process, added full-text indexing, etc.
>Three of the institutions we're working with are considering adding
>Shibboleth support over the default X.509 (certificates) or
>logon/password access control. The main area of technical
>development seems to be in modules that will be outside of DSpace
>itself, e.g. publishing tools or rendering applications for
>non-Web-native formats.
>
>The major effort at most institutions to implement DSpace as
>an institutional repository seems not to be in the technology
>at all, but rather in the definition of policies and business models
>that the library (or other part of the organization) needs to provide
>a production service to its researchers.
>
>As for avoiding upgrade problems if you make modifications,
>we try to keep the development process as open as possible
>(documenting future releases, as well as the code contribution
>process). The best way to ensure future compatibility is to
>communicate with us about the changes you're making, and
>offer them back to the main codebase when you're done!
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>MacKenzie/
>
>At 09:11 AM 9/22/2003 +1000, Scott Yeadon wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >We're looking at introducing DSpace to ANU (Australian National University),
> >and I have just read a paper date Jan 2003 in D-Lib magazine entitled DSpace
> >- An OpenSource Dynamic Digital Repository, located at
> >http://www.dlib.org/dlib/january03/smith/01smith.html. The section entitled
> >"The DSpace Federation" contains a paragraph as follows:
> >
> >"In 2002, MIT formed collaborative partnerships with a small number of other
> >academic research institutions in the US, UK, and Canada, to address some
> >specific questions such as: what will it take to successfully deploy the
> >system at another institution? How much localization, how much
> customization,
> >and how much time and effort are needed?"
> >
> >I was wondering what sort of feedback (if any) had been received on these
> >topics, especially where non-trivial modifications werer required such as
> >more complex authorisation and low-level code modifications were required,
> >and how these we done to avoid issues when upgrading to future versions.
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >Scott.

>MacKenzie Smith
> [...]

Sam Kalb
Coordinator, Technical Services,
Queen's University Libraries
Kingston, Ontario, Canada  K7L 5C4
Phone: (613) 533-2830; Fax: (613) 533-6819
Email: kalbs at post.queensu.ca
URL (QTECH Web): stauffer.queensu.ca/techserv/qtechweb.html