[Dspace-general] User studies on DSpace

Susan Gibbons SGibbons at library.rochester.edu
Wed Oct 1 15:02:52 EDT 2003

Dear Ana:

At the University of Rochester in New York we just received a federally
funded grant to study how different disciplines work with grey
literature (tech reports, pre-prints, conference papers, etc.) and make
modifications to DSpace based on our findings.  I'd be glad to email you
a copy of the grant proposal, if you are interested.

We'd be glad to share anything we learn from our studies and hope you
will do the same with yours.

Best wishes,

Susan Gibbons
Director, Digital Library Initiatives
River Campus Libraries
University of Rochester
585-275-6320
sgibbons at library.rochester.edu

>>> Ana Alice Baptista <analice at dsi.uminho.pt> 10/01/03 04:49AM >>>
Dear all,

My name is Ana Baptista and I'm emailing you from Universidade do
Minho, Portugal.
We are implementing DSpace here at Uminho with (what we believe) the
first Portuguese version of DSpace. We are now feeding the system with

Thesis and Dissertations from the whole university. We are also
starting to involve communities and we have started with 6 of them
which will make available other scientific documents such as articles
and reports. We hope to open the doors to our repository by the end of

Octoober.

We have some students willing to do research using DSpace. In
particular one of them is interested in studying the users that are
producers of scholarly resources stored in DSpace. With this in mind, I

would like to ask you the following:

- Are you doing similar studies in your intitutions? It seems to me
that, if there are, all these researchers could share experiences that

would benefit all of them. In particular for us it would be very
helpful to know similar studies in other cultural contexts.

- Do you know of any international organization willing to sponsor
these kind of studies?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Ana Baptista