[Crosstalk] ODL xTalks - Oct & Nov

Molly Ruggles ruggles at mit.edu
Tue Oct 14 14:57:53 EDT 2014

Dear colleagues,

We want you to know of upcoming xTalks...

This week: Friday, Oct 17, 3-4pm, rm 4-231: "Observing an Open Learning Process: a Knowledge Oriented Process"
Alain Mille of the French National Center for Scientific Research and France’s Université Numerique will focus on dynamic knowledge construction and modeled trace theory and show its application to user assistance in MOOCs. He will also discuss insights on the generalization of our approach to the questions of developmental learning and radical interactionism in artificial agents.

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2-3pm, rm 3-133: "A Panel Discussion on Scholarly Annotation"
David Karger, Kurt Fendt, Phil Desenne, and Jamie Folsom will contribute to a panel on scholarly annotation. There is increased focus on collaborative learning, in the context of online learning environments where multiple individuals create community forums which facilitate engagement and connection. This expert panel will discuss how people engage and collaborate online, what impacts annotations have for assessment and what features of annotation tools encourage collaboration and enhance learning.

New! Wednesday, Nov 12, 3:30-4:30pm, rm 56-154: "Fostering the Next Bill Nye - How Hard Could It Be?"
What is the place of an informal web series in life-long learning and more formal education for both users and creators, and how can we capitalize on this format to engage and entertain in addition to educating? Elizabeth Choe and George Zaidan will explore this question through an analysis of MIT+K12 Videos’ student-written and hosted web series Science Out Loud.

If you missed last week’s xTalk with Lori Breslow and Jeff Haywood, an audio recording is available.

odl.mit.edu/xtalks  |  Join the xTalks discussion on Twitter at #ODLxTalks

Molly Ruggles
Senior Educational Technology Consultant & xTalks Coordinator
ruggles at mit.edu | 617-324-9185
MIT  |  ODL