[Crib-list] VIRTUAL: CRIBB Seminar: SPEAKER: Cristina Martin-Linares (John Hopkins Univ.) - 12:00 Noon - 1:00 PM -- Friday, Dec. 16, 2022

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Thu Dec 15 13:08:48 EST 2022

    VIRTUAL...

        COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON and BEYOND SEMINAR
			  (CRIBB)

   ZOOM meeting info...

           https://mit.zoom.us/j/96155042770

          ====================================

DATE:	Friday, December 16, 2022

TIME:	12:00 Noon - 1:00 PM

TITLE:	Physics-assisted machine-learning models in fluid mechanics and
agent-based systems

SPEAKER:  Cristina Martin-Linares (The Johns Hopkins University)

ABSTRACT:

The heart of research in engineering entails developing predictive
dynamical equations from observations. For instance, traditional
modelling approaches involve developing constitutive equations from
experiments in material science or developing subgrid scale models for
coarse-grained equations in fluid dynamics, as these systems require
detailed simulations that can be computationally expensive. Modern
data-driven and ML techniques can also be used to discover these
equations and deduce reduced order models for nominally infinite
dimensional dynamical systems (PDEs) or stochastic (SDEs), which capture
the physics well. We can even bypass these equations and instead,
predict the desired dynamics in a fully data-driven manner.

In this talk, I will focus first on a fluid system with PDE dynamics,
namely thin films flowing down an inclined plane and exhibiting
spatio-temporal wave patterns. And second, on SDEs arising in
agent-based models of a population of interacting agents in a stock
market, with behaviors similar to disease transmission in the field of
epidemics. In the first topic, I will show how to develop reduced order
models and learn PDEs to predict the amplitude of the wave directly from
data, as well as a new approach to recover the full velocity field from
partial observations of the amplitude of the wave. For the second
problem, I will show how we can use these techniques to learn the
effective Langevin-type SDE that governs the behavior of the
distribution of agents close to a tipping point where the distributions
becomes unstable. The developed models are more accurate and have wider
range of applicability than traditional analytically derived models.

=======================================

For information about the "Computational Research in Boston and Beyond
Seminar"
(CRIBB), please visit:

	https://math.mit.edu/sites/crib/

Shirley A. Entzminger