[Crib-list] SPEAKER: Jenelle Feather (MIT) | CRIBB Seminar | Friday, Oct. 2, 2020 | 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM - ZOOM info below

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Mon Sep 28 17:35:40 EDT 2020

 	 Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar
                                (CRIBB)

ZOOM Information...

 	https://mit.zoom.us/j/96155042770
 	Meeting ID: 961 5504 2770

DATE:	  Friday, October 2, 2020

TIME:	  12:00 Noon to 1:00 PM

TITLE:	  Metamers Of Neural Networks Reveal Divergence From Human
 	  Perceptual Systems

SPEAKER:  JENELLE FEATHER  (MIT)

ABSTRACT:

Artificial neural networks now achieve human-level performance on tasks
such as image and speech recognition, raising the question of whether they
should be taken seriously as models of biological sensory systems.  Such
neural network models exhibit human-like patterns of behavior, and their
feature spaces reliably predict brain activity.  On the other hand, neural
network models can often be fooled by small adversarial perturbations that
have no effect on humans.  In this talk, I will detail our work using
“model metamers” to investigate similarities between neural networks and
human sensory systems.  Model metamers are physically distinct stimuli
that produce nearly the same response within a model, and thus the same
model prediction.  Our results show that despite replicating aspects of
human behavior and neural responses, present-day deep neural networks
learn invariances that deviate markedly from those of biological sensory
systems.  Model metamers may help guide future model refinements to reduce
or eliminate these discrepancies.

  =====================================

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

For information about the "Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar"
(CRIBB), please visit https://math.mit.edu/crib/

ZOOM information listed at the beginning of this email, on the attached
poster and on the CRIBB Website..

==============

Shirley A. Entzminger
Administrative Assistant II