[Crib-list] T O D A Y... SPEAKER: Emily Crabb (MIT) | CRIB Seminar | Fri., 11/06/2020 | 12:00 pm - 1:00 PM

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Fri Nov 6 09:11:10 EST 2020

T O D A Y . . .

	COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON and BEYOND SEMINAR

ZOOM Link:
   	 https://mit.zoom.us/j/96155042770
    	 Meeting ID: 961 5504 2770

DATE:	Friday, November 6, 2020

TIME:	12:00 PM - 1:00 PM

TITLE:	Importance Of Equilibration Method And Sampling For Ab Initio
	 Molecular Dynamics Simulations Of Solvent - Lithium Salt Systems
	 in Lithium-Oxygen Batteries

SPEAKER:  Emily Crabb (MIT)

ABSTRACT:

Lithium-oxygen batteries are an active area of research because of their
potential to have a much higher energy density than traditional
lithium-ion batteries.  However, they are not yet commercially viable
due to poor efficiency, high charging voltages, and low cycle lifetimes.
  Many of these issues could be addressed with a deeper fundamental
understanding of the atomistic behavior of these batteries.  One tool to
model such atomic scale behavior is ab initio molecular dynamics (AIMD)
simulations. However, AIMD simulations are limited to timescales of tens
of picoseconds due to their high computational cost.  As a result,
equilibration and sampling methodologies can have a significant effect
on the behavior of AIMD simulations.  We thus compared two equilibration
methods for AIMD simulations of systems of common solvents and salts
found in lithium air batteries: (1) using an AIMD temperature ramp and
(2) using a classical MD simulation followed by a short AIMD simulation
all at the target simulation temperature of 300 K.  We also compared two
different classical all-atom force fields (PCFF+ and OPLS) and performed
multiple simulations for each system.  In this talk, I will discuss why
lithium-oxygen batteries are an exciting area of research, why
computational tools such as AIMD are critical to this field, and how the
differences between our simulation results and experimental results for
properties such as coordination number illustrate the importance of both
equilibration method and independent sampling for extracting
experimentally relevant quantities from AIMD simulations, with
applications in battery development and beyond.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

For information about the "Computational Research in Boston and Beyond
Seminar" (CRIB), please visit https://math.mit.edu/crib/

ZOOM information listed at the beginning of this email, on the attached
poster and also on the CRIB Website.

==============

Shirley A. Entzminger
Administrative Assistant II