[Crib-list] REMINDER...SPEAKER: Emily Crabb (MIT) | CRIB Seminar | Fri., 11/06/2020 | 12:00 pm - 1:00 PM

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Thu Nov 5 15:53:57 EST 2020

   A  R E M I N D E R . . .

 	COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON and BEYOND SEMINAR

ZOOM Link:
   	 https://mit.zoom.us/j/96155042770
    	 Meeting ID: 961 5504 2770

DATE:	Friday, November 6, 2020

TIME:	12:00 PM - 1:00 PM

TITLE:	Importance Of Equilibration Method And Sampling For Ab Initio
 	 Molecular Dynamics Simulations Of Solvent - Lithium Salt Systems
 	 in Lithium-Oxygen Batteries

SPEAKER:  Emily Crabb (MIT)

ABSTRACT:

Lithium-oxygen batteries are an active area of research because of their
potential to have a much higher energy density than traditional lithium-ion
batteries.  However, they are not yet commercially viable due to poor
efficiency, high charging voltages, and low cycle lifetimes.  Many of these
issues could be addressed with a deeper fundamental understanding of the
atomistic behavior of these batteries.  One tool to model such atomic scale
behavior is ab initio molecular dynamics (AIMD) simulations. However, AIMD
simulations are limited to timescales of tens of picoseconds due to their high
computational cost.  As a result, equilibration and sampling methodologies can
have a significant effect on the behavior of AIMD simulations.  We thus
compared two equilibration methods for AIMD simulations of systems of common
solvents and salts found in lithium air batteries: (1) using an AIMD
temperature ramp and (2) using a classical MD simulation followed by a short
AIMD simulation all at the target simulation temperature of 300 K.  We also
compared two different classical all-atom force fields (PCFF+ and OPLS) and
performed multiple simulations for each system.  In this talk, I will discuss
why lithium-oxygen batteries are an exciting area of research, why
computational tools such as AIMD are critical to this field, and how the
differences between our simulation results and experimental results for
properties such as coordination number illustrate the importance of both
equilibration method and independent sampling for extracting experimentally
relevant quantities from AIMD simulations, with applications in battery
development and beyond.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

For information about the "Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar"
(CRIB), please visit https://math.mit.edu/crib/

ZOOM information listed at the beginning of this email, on the attached poster
and also on the CRIB Website.

==============

Shirley A. Entzminger
Administrative Assistant II