[Crib-list] TODAY... SPEAKER: Stefanie Jegelka (MIT) | CRIBB Seminar | Friday, Nov. 2, 2018 | TIME: 1:00 PM | Room 32-155 (Stata)

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Fri Nov 2 10:16:54 EDT 2018

 	T O D A Y . . .

 		COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON and BEYOND Seminar

DATE:		Friday, November 2, 2018

TIME:		1:00 PM - 2:00 PM

LOCATION:	Building 32, Room 155  (STATA)
 		  (32 Vassar Street, Cambrdidge, MA)

 		    Pizza and beverages provided outside
          	    Room 155 at 12:45 PM

TITLE:	 Aspects of Robustness and Representation in Machine Learning

SPEAKER:	 Stefanie Jegelka  (MIT)

ABSTRACT:

Reliability of machine learning methods includes many facets. One aspect are
robust, stable algorithms. Another one is a better theoretical understanding of
properties of currently popular models. In this talk, I will show recent work
on both these directions.

First, we address robustness for black-box optimization with Gaussian Processes
(GPs). GP-based methods have become popular tools for sequentially optimizing
an unknown function that is expensive to evaluate, with applications in
robotics, hyperparameter tuning, recommender systems and environmental
monitoring. In such applications, robust, stable solutions are of interest for
several reasons: the underlying functions during optimization and
implementation stages are different, or one seeks an entire region of good
inputs rather than only a single point. We formalize this by allowing the query
point to be adversarially perturbed, and require the function value to remain
as high as possible even after this perturbation. Standard GP optimization
approaches can fail in this setting. We provide a new, confidence-bound based
algorithm, and establish lower and upper bounds on the required number of
samples to find a near-optimal point.

Second, we explore the representational power of ResNet, a popular recent
neural network architecture that augments the network with a parallel identity
mapping. While classical results address wide, shallow networks, we ask how
narrow a deep ResNet can be to still allow universal approximation. Our results
show that one hidden unit is enough, in sharp contrast to fully connected
networks.

This talk is based on joint work with Ilija Bogunovic, Jonathan Scarlett,
Volkan Cevher and Hongzhou Lin.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

For information about the Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar
(CRIBB), please visit...

                 http://math.mit.edu/crib/

===============

Shirley A. Entzminger