[Crib-list] TODAY: SPEAKER: Adam Riesselman (Harvard) | Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar (CRIBB) | Friday, 05/04/2018 | 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM | Building 32, Room 124 (STATA)

daisymae daisymae at math.mit.edu
Fri May 4 09:38:37 EDT 2018

     T O D A Y . . .

DATE:		Friday, May 4, 2018

TIME:		12:00 Noon to 1:00 PM

LOCATION:	Building 32, Room 124  (STATA)
		    32 Vassar Street
		    Cambridge, MA

		   (Pizza/beverages will be provided at 11:45 AM outside
		   Room 32-124)

TITLE:		Predicting the effect of mutations with generative models
		of evolutionary sequences

SPEAKER:	Adam Riesselman  (Harvard University)

ABSTRACT:

Modern genome sequencing and synthesis can acquire and generate
tremendous molecular diversity in a day, but our ability to navigate and
interpret the exponentially large space of potential biological
sequences remains limited.  Central to this challenge is the lack of a
priori knowledge about epistasis, i.e. non-additive interactions between
positions in a molecule or genome.  I will describe how generative
models fit to evolutionary sequences can be used to help explain these
factors.  I will then discuss two classes of generative models, discrete
undirected graphical models and neural-network powered latent variable
models, which can reveal the three dimensional structures and mutational
landscapes of proteins and RNA solely from evolutionary information.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

For information about the Computational Research in Boston and Beyond
Seminar (CRIBB), please visit....

			http://math.mit.edu/crib/

===

Shirley A. Entzminger