[Crib-list] SPEAKER: Ryan McKinnon (MIT) | CRIBB Seminar | Friday, March 3, 2017 | TIME: 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM | Building 32, Room 155

daisymae@mit.edu daisymae at mit.edu
Tue Feb 28 17:01:47 EST 2017

 		   COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON and BEYOND SEMINAR

DATE:		Friday, MARCH 3, 2017
TIME:		12:00 PM  1:00 PM
LOCATION:	Building 32, Room 155  (STATA)
 		(32 Vassar Street, Cambridge)

     Pizza and beverages will be provided at 11:45 AM outside Room 155.

TITLE:		Grain Dynamics in Astrophysical Simulations

SPEAKER:	RYAN McKINNON  (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)

ABSTRACT:

Galaxies in the universe form and grow over time in a complicated
nonlinear fashion.  Recent advances in supercomputing ability make it
possible to numerically model the essential physics and evolve a mock
universe from shortly after the Big Bang to the present day, producing a
fairly realistic population of galaxies.  In this talk, I will overview
the key topics in physics that govern galaxy formation and display
visualizations from state-of-the-art astrophysical simulations.  The
spectroscopic properties of real galaxies are heavily influenced by the
presence of dust grains, small solid molecules of various sizes that can
absorb and reradiate stellar light in the gaseous interstellar medium.  I
will talk about the challenge of modeling small-scale grain physics,
focusing on the hydrodynamical drag force coupling grains and gas and the
time-evolving size distribution of dust grains.  To validate the numerical
implementation of grain physics in a modern astrophysical code, I will
show results from a variety of test problems in hydrodynamics and grain
size dynamics.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

For information about the Computational Research in Boston and Beyond
Seminar, please visit...

 			http://math.mit.edu/crib/

===
Shirley A. Entzminger