[Crib-list] TODAY: SPEAKER: Julian Kates-Harbeck (Harvard) | CRIBB Seminar | Friday, Feb. 3, 2017 | 12:00 PM | Room 32-124 -- STATA (fwd)

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Fri Feb 3 10:02:24 EST 2017

 	T O D A Y . . .

 		    COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON and BEYOND Seminar

DATE:		Friday, February 3, 2017

TIME:		12:00 Noon to 1:00 PM

LOCATION:	Building 32, Room 124 | Stata Building

  		[32 Vassar Street, Cambridge]

   * Pizza and beverages will be provided at 11:45 AM outside Room 32-124 *

TITLE:		Nonlinear epidemics on graphs.

SPEAKER:	Julian Kates-Harbeck  (Harvard University)

ABTRACT:

Most epidemiological models assume independent transmission events, where the
transmission probability between individuals is linear in the intensity/number
of exposures. However, for social epidemics (such as behaviors, ideas, internet
memes, opinions or other "virally" spreading social phenomena) it is not
unreasonable to assume that there is a strong nonlinearity in the probability
of an individual becoming infected as a function of the number of infected
contacts. We study the behavior of such nonlinear epidemics on well-mixed
populations as well as more realistic graphs. We provide analytical results
which are compared to numerical simulations.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

For information about the "Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar,
please visit...

                         http://math.mit.edu/crib/

=====

Shirley A. Entzminger