[Crib-list] TODAY: SPEAKER: Nathaniel Trask (Brown) Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar (CRIBB) -- Friday, Feb, 5, 2016 --TIME: 12:00 Noon in Building 32, Room 124 (Stata)

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Fri Feb 5 09:18:15 EST 2016

 	T O D A Y . . .

 		COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON and BEYOND Seminar

DATE:	      	Friday, February 5, 2016
TIME:		12:00 PM  1:00 PM
LOCATION:	Building 32, Room 124 (Stata) --  (32 Vassar Street)

 		http://whereis.mit.edu/?mapterms=32-124&mapsearch=go)

 	(Pizza will be provided at 11:45 AM outside Room 32-124.)

TITLE:		Compatible meshless discretization through
 		$\ell_2$-optimization

SPEAKER:	Nathaniel Trask (Brown University)

ABSTRACT:

Meshless methods provide an ideal framework for scalably simulating problems
involving boundaries undergoing large deformation or interfaces between
multiple materials. Discretization points may be moved in a Lagrangian fashion
without the need for either costly mesh topology updates or diffuse Eulerian
treatment of interfaces. Of the range of meshless discretizations available,
there is a distinct lack of methods that maintain a sense of compatibility
while simultaneously achieving high-order accuracy. In this talk, we present a
new discretization that generalizes staggered primal/dual discretizations to
unstructured point sets. Using only the epsilon-neighborhood graph of
discretization points and solving inexpensive optimization problems, we
construct divergence and gradient operators that mimic the algebraic structure
of compatiblemesh-based discretizations. When applied to a model div-grad
diffusion problem, we obtain high-order convergence for smooth solutions and
observe monotone fluxes for problems with discontinuous material properties. We
then present a new mixed meshless discretization for the Stokes equations,
using a divergence-free moving least squares method for velocity and staggered
moving least squares for the pressure. This approach achieves equal order
convergence for both velocity and pressure, making it ideal for simulating
problems in dense suspension flows dominated by lubrication forces. We finally
assemble the Stokes solver, a Poisson-Boltzmann solver based on the staggered
scheme, and a 6-DOF solver for colloid dynamics together into a monolithic,
fully implicit scheme that we use to study electrophoretic suspensions. By
using auxiliary space algebraic multigrid preconditioning to solve the
resulting system, we obtain an efficient, robust, and highly accurate new tool
for studying these problems in complex geometries.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA  02139

For information about the Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar
(CRIBB), please visit...

 			http://math.mit.edu/crib/