[Crib-list] SPEAKER: MICHAEL BAYM (Harvard) - Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar -- Friday, December 2, 2011 -- TIME: 12:30 PM in Bldg. 32, Room 141 (Stata)

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Tue Nov 29 10:59:03 EST 2011

 		   COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON and BEYOND SEMINAR

DATE:		Friday, DECEMBER 2, 2011
TIME:		12:30 PM
LOCATION:	Building 32, Room 141  (Stata Center)

(Pizza and beverages will be provided at 12:15 PM outside Room 32-141)

TITLE:		BLASTing faster than light:
 		compressive genomics in the next-gen world

SPEAKER:	MICHAEL BAYM   (Harvard University)

ABSTRACT:

The last several years have seen an unprecedented increase in DNA sequencing
capability.  The resulting accumulation of data has grown so fast as to far
outstrip advances in computational or even storage capabilities.  Fundamental
algorithmic improvements are necessary if we are to truly make use of these new
technologies.  In this talk, we present an extension of BLAST on large datasets
that not only is faster, but scales sublinearly in the size of the genomic
library.  More broadly, we introduce compressive genomics, an approach to these
increasingly large data sets that allows analysis to be performed directly on
the compressed data.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

For more information, please visit...