[Crib-list] SPEAKER: MICHAEL BAYM (Harvard) - Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar -- Friday, December 2, 2011 -- TIME: 12:30 PM in Bldg. 32, Room 141 (Stata)

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Wed Nov 23 14:13:31 EST 2011

 		COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON and BEYOND SEMINAR

DATE:		Friday, DECEMBER 2, 2011
TIME:		12:30 PM
LOCATION:	Building 32, Room 141  (Stata Center)

(Pizza and beverages will be provided at 12:15 PM outside Room 32-141)

TITLE:		BLASTing faster than light:
 		compressive genomics in the next-gen world

SPEAKER:	MICHAEL BAYM   (Harvard University)

ABSTRACT:

The last several years have seen an unprecedented increase in DNA
sequencing capability.  The resulting accumulation of data has grown so
fast as to far outstrip advances in computational or even storage
capabilities.  Fundamental algorithmic improvements are necessary if we
are to truly make use of these new technologies.  In this talk, we present
an extension of BLAST on large datasets that not only is faster, but
scales sublinearly in the size of the genomic library.  More broadly, we
introduce compressive genomics, an approach to these increasingly large
data sets that allows analysis to be performed directly on the compressed
data.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

For more information, please visit...