[Crib-list] TODAY: SPEAKER, John Goodhue -- Computational Research in Boston and Beyond Seminar -- Friday, Nov. 5, 2010 -- TIME: 12:30 PM -- Room 32-124 (Stata Center)

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Fri Nov 5 10:02:40 EDT 2010

T O D A Y . . .

 		COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH in BOSTON and BEYOND SEMINAR

DATE:		Friday, November 5, 2010
TIME:		12:30 PM
LOCATION:	Building 32, Room 124 (Stata Center)

(Pizza and beverages at 12:10 PM outside Room 32-124.)

TITLE:			The Massachusetts Green High Performance
 			Computing Center

SPEAKER:		John Goodhue
 			Interim Executive Director, MGHPCC

 			Massachusetts Green High Performance
 			Computing Center

ABSTRACT:

The Massachusetts Green High Performance Computing Center (MGHPCC) is a joint
project between MIT, Harvard, University of Massachusetts, Boston University,
and Northeastern University to build a high performance computing center to
support growing the demands of faculty-driven research.  The center is located
in Holyoke Mass, which has an abundance of locally generated hydropower and
access to a nearby fiber hub, making it ideal for housing inexpensive, easily
accessible computing resources.

I will talk about the origin and purpose of the facility, along with a high
level tour of the physical infrastructure.  I will also talk about the project
current status, when we expect the facility to become available, and discuss
the vision of a collaborative regional HPC consortium that this facility has
the potential to underpin.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA  02139

For more information, please visit...