[Crib-list] SPEAKER: Prof. Gene Cooperman (Northeastern University) -- Monday, Jan. 26 -- 11AM -- Room 32-15

chris hill cnh at MIT.EDU
Sun Jan 25 21:01:56 EST 2009

Another interesting CUDA related seminar Monday Jan 26 - see below.

Chris

What: Out-of-Core Programming with NVIDIA's CUDA
Who: Prof. Gene Cooperman, College of Computer and Information Science,
Northeastern University
Where: #32-155
When: Monday January 26 at 11am (1h)
Host: Nicolas Pinto (as part of 6.963 IAP CUDA @ MIT)

Abstract:

The word "core" in this title has a double meaning. The older term core
refers to an ancient implementation of RAM. The newer term core refers
to a CPU or GPU core. For example, each NVIDIA SM (streaming
multiprocessor) currently has eight cores. The amount of on-chip memory,
or cache, on an SM is some small number of kilobytes. We will abuse the
term out-of-core to refer to data that lies off-chip (outside the SM).

The key to efficiency in many CUDA algorithms is to efficiently move
data between on-chip cache (for in-core programming), and off-chip
global memory on the video baord (for out-of-core programming). As the
dual use of the term core implies, CUDA programming is not the first
example in which skill in out-of-core programming has been important.
This talk will clarify the issue by abstracting the issue of out-of-core
programming. It will then discuss some principles that we have found
useful in our own lab, and their application both to CUDA programming
and to disk-based programming.