[Crib-list] SPEAKER: Prof. David Kaeli (Northeastern University) -- Friday, Jan. 23 -- 3PM -- Room 32-141

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Thu Jan 22 13:13:14 EST 2009

Interesting to CRiB computational research seminar Friday Jan 23.

What: GPGPUs - Applications and Scaling - Utilizing Graphics Hardware to
Address Critical Problems in Medical Imaging
Where: #32-141
When: Friday January 23 at 3pm

Speaker: Prof. David Kaeli, ECE Dept., Northeastern University

Abstract:  Graphics Processing Units (GPUs) have been growing in
popularity due to their impressive processing capabilities, and equipped
with general purpose programming languages such as NVIDIA's CUDA, are
becoming the platform of choice in the scientific computing community.

This talk will focus on two topics: how to utilize GPUs to accelerate
critical medical image reconstruction algorithms, and how best to
utilize multiple GPUs to accelerate a range of applications.  Previous
studies that used GPUs focused on obtaining significant performance
gains from execution on a single GPU.  These studies employed low-level,
architecture-specific, tuning in order to achieve sizeable benefits over
multicore CPU execution.

In this talk, we consider the benefits of running on multiple (parallel)
GPUs to provide further orders of performance speedup.  Our approach
attempts to reduce or eliminate the need to apply low-level fine tuning
to extract performance from a GPU. Our methodology allows developers to
accurately predict execution time for GPU applications while varying the
number and configuration of the GPUs, and the size of the input data set.

We believe this is a natural next step in GPU computing because it
allows researchers to determine the most appropriate GPU configuration
for an application without having to purchase hardware, or write
customized code for a mulitple-GPU implementation.