[Crib-list] Computational Research in Boston Seminar (CRiB) -- Friday, 10/07/2005 -- Stata Center -- Room 32-144

Shirley Entzminger daisymae at math.mit.edu
Tue Sep 27 15:14:12 EDT 2005

 			COMPUTATIONAL RESEARCH IN BOSTON SEMINAR

DATE:		Friday, October 7, 2005
TIME:		12:30 PM
LOCATION:	Building 32, Room 144
 		(Stata Center)

(Pizza and beverages will be provided.)

TOPIC:  THE PYRAMID MATCH KERNEL:
 	DISCRIMINATIVE CLASSIFICATION AND REGRESSION WITH SETS OF FEATURES

SPEAKER:	KRISTEN GRAUMAN
 		Massachusetts Institute of Technology

ABSTRACT:

In numerous domains it is useful to represent a single example by the
collection of the local features or parts that comprise it.  However,
kernel-based classification or regression is challenging with this
representation, since the sets of features may vary in cardinality and
elements lack a meaningful ordering.  Existing methods compare feature
sets by searching for explicit correspondences between their elements
(which is too costly for large scale problems) or fitting parametric
distributions to the sets (which makes restrictive assumptions about the
data).

We present a new efficient kernel function which maps unordered feature
sets to multi-resolution histograms and computes a weighted histogram
intersection in this space. This "pyramid match' computation is linear in
the number of features, and it implicitly finds correspondences based on
the finest resolution histogram cell where a matched pair first appears.
Since the kernel allows partial matches and does not penalize the presence
of extra features, it is robust to clutter.  We show the kernel function
is positive-definite, making it valid for use in learning algorithms whose
optimal solutions are guaranteed only for Mercer kernels.  We demonstrate
our algorithm on object recognition, 3-D human pose estimation, and time
of publication inference tasks and show it to be accurate and dramatically
faster than current approaches.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Department of Mathematics
Cambridge, MA  02139