[config-package-dev] File remains after an "undisplace" operation

Franklin, Jason jason.franklin at quoininc.com
Mon Oct 19 11:29:06 EDT 2020

Greetings:

I am developing a configuration package for bash.  The existing
configuration package transforms the file "/etc/skel/.bashrc" so that
three files are now present in "/etc/skel/".  I will use the stock
displace extension from your examples...

  .bashrc -> .bashrc.debathena (the link)
  .bashrc.debathena (the transform result)
  .bashrc.debathena-orig (the original)

Of course, this the expected result.

I have updated the package to remove this displacement (i.e., to perform
an "undisplace" operation).  The result follows.

  .bashrc (the original)
  .bashrc.debathena (the result of the transform)

The latter file surprised me, as it is left behind while the diversion
is removed.  It looks like this is intentional.  Is there any particular
reason for this design decision?

Furthermore, suppose that I would like to have this file removed along
with the "undisplace" operation.  Is rm_conffile the way to go?

Thanks in advance!

--
Jason Franklin