[config-package-dev] check_file problems

Jonathan Reed jdreed at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 6 13:31:42 EDT 2013

Hi Alex,

Thanks for using config-package-dev.  The purpose of check_file() is to ensure that the file you're transforming has not been modified since it was installed, to avoid, e.g., accidentally incorporating changes you might have made on your build server or in build chroots.  As you may have seen from the man page, you can use another file as a source, but it needs to be a packaged file.

Transformations are designed to change upstream config files in a deterministic way.  If you're trying to transform an unpackaged file, you almost certainly want to use a diversion instead.  Because even if generating /etc/fstab is going to be deterministic and idempotent across reinstalls on _your_ machine, or even a group of machines you maintain, that doesn't apply to other Debian/Ubuntu users.

One of the other maintainers may chime in with other suggestions or workarounds, and we may look at the possibility of disabling this check at build time, but in general, I think you want to see if a diversion/displacement will suffice in this case.

-Jon
for the config-package-dev maintainers and Debathena project