[ASA-Official] [ASA Official] CPW Midway Virtualization | BusyBeavers Discord | ASA Recruitment | Unrecoverable Losses

Rebecca Mae Black rblack at mit.edu
Fri Mar 27 14:30:14 EDT 2020

Dear Student Group Leaders,

We hope you’re all taking care of yourselves and things are settling down a bit! Please take note of the following announcements:

-> CPW Midway virtualization efforts

-> Join the Busy Beavers Discord

-> The ASA is recruiting!!!

-> Reminder: submit unrecoverable losses

//~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~//

CPW Midway virtualization efforts (and a brief GBM update)

We want to give an update that ASA, SOLE, and Admissions have all been discussing how best to virtualize the CPW Midway (and CPW as a whole), with lots of great input from students outside our committees (thanks, BusyBeavers!!!) We don’t have a defined plan yet, but are hoping to arrive on a decision in the next week or two. Our current favorite idea involves individual Zoom chats for every group who is interested, and having a virtual “map” of groups for admitted students to explore that integrates blurbs/photos/website links from student groups -- stay tuned for more info as those ideas solidify and we reach out for submissions from your groups!

Admissions is also actively seeking out ideas and input on how to virtualize the MIT experience for admitted students -- visit <https://community.mitcpw.org/> to see what they have planned and submit any ideas you have or events that you’re planning to do to get on the official schedule! They also have a program to match up admitted students with current students, so check out their website if you want to get involved.

On a related note, we are still discussing our options for a virtual General Body Meeting (CPW plans have come first in our discussions so it’s not finalized yet.) We are hoping to have a decision on that next week, and the GBM itself will likely be pushed back to the second full week in April, with an agenda sent out at least one week beforehand.

//~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~//

Join the Busy Beavers Discord!

BusyBeavers is a group of MIT students trying to keep the MIT community unified and to keep people talking to and meeting each other while we’re away from campus:<https://busy-beavers.github.io/>.

So far this takes the form of a campus-wide Discord server (please join!) and a calendar for digital campus-wide events. We’ve also hosted, and are planning to host, various virtual events, including virtual game nights and virtual mixers.

We’d also like to help current clubs and student organizations host their own virtual events, whether via our Discord server or via another website. For example, our Discord has already helped/encouraged LSC with setting up their virtual movie night sessions!

Finally, if you'd like to help us, please email us at <busybeavers at mit.edu>!

//~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~//

The ASA is recruiting!!!

During the upcoming GBM, we will be electing the officer positions for our Board, and are actively recruiting anyone who is interested in joining the ASA at any level! If you have any interest in coordinating student group activities, developing policies surrounding student activities, or just getting more involved with DSL administration, the ASA is the place for you! We will have space in all parts of our board -- any position (space, funding, groups, secretary, president!) could be filled by any interested party.

You can find information on all positions on our board here: <bit.ly/2vyu7ID>, and apply using this form if you are interested! <https://engage.mit.edu/submitter/form/start/395752>

Reminder: submit any unrecoverable losses

This is a reminder to any group that has unrecoverable losses due to cancellations to fill out this form <https://engage.mit.edu/submitter/form/start/393416>. We will be using that information to understand the scope of how groups are being affected by the new policies, and both SOLE and the ASA have committed reserve funding to help groups to the best of our abilities with these financial losses. SOLE would like to announce that they are also holding virtual office hours to answer any student group-related questions during this time: you can find more information at <http://studentlife.mit.edu/sole/office-hours>.

As always, email asa-exec at mit.edu<mailto:asa-exec at mit.edu> with any questions or concerns you have at this time.

Best regards,

The ASA Executive Board

http://asa.mit.edu/about-asa/board-members