[ASA-Official] ASA Space Assignments 2014-2015; Group Recognition Deadline (2/14/2014); LEF/ARCADE Deadline (3/3/2014)

Rachel Keeler rhkeeler at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 13 18:19:25 EST 2014

Dear Student Group Leaders,

Please take note of the following announcements:

1. Space Assignments Available

2. Message from ASA President

3. Group Recognition Deadline (2/19/2014)

4. LEF/ARCADE Deadline (3/3/2014)

(1) Space Assignments Available

The ASA is pleased to present our space assignments. A map of the
assignments (excluding lockers) can be found here: <
http://web.mit.edu/asa/resources/office-space-alloc.html>.

The assignments in detail -- including which groups are vacating and
entering a space -- are here: <
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkdzIiUTcfZ7dHIxQTFZYy0xZEdmZTRZSTg2NDNTNGc&usp=sharing
>.

To appeal, please send a brief written explanation of your appeal to <
asa-exec at mit.edu> before 2/17/2014. Once appeals are over and
categorizations have been finalized, we will send information about moving.

---------------------------------------

(2) Message from ASA President

Dear Student Groups,

In the email above, we announce the space allocations for the next two
years, approximately six weeks behind schedule. I understand that many
groups are frustrated with our lateness, and rightfully so; we committed to
a timeline, and failed to live up to that commitment. I apologize for that,
completely and without excuses. However, while I do not take this fault
lightly, I want to explain why we are late -- I know there may be no
sufficient justification, but though I am not asking you to forgive what
happened, I believe it is important that you understand why it did.

The Association of Student Activities has a ten-person board, at least in
theory. Between these ten people, we recognize new groups, allocate events
funding, office space, and bulletin board space, interface between student
groups and various parts of the administration, run the Midways, ensure
student groups are fulfilling their legal obligations, and maintain the ASA
Database to make room reservations and financial processes easier. However,
over the past year, we have operated with only slightly over a half-full
Board. We have had to prioritize which responsibilities to meet in a timely
manner and which to fulfill late, in a desperate attempt to drop none of
them completely.

At the General Body Meeting last fall, when we announced the timeline for
the space allocation cycle, we attempted to hold an election to fill one of
the empty slots, but had no candidates. At that time, I warned you all that
we may be a little late, although I did not anticipate how late. I reminded
you that all of us on the Board are students and volunteers, and told you
that I would never ask anyone on the Board to sacrifice their academics or
health for ASA work. I have held true to that, and I do not regret or
apologize for it, although I am deeply sorry for the result.

In mid-March, we will hold elections for the 2014-2015 ASA Executive Board.
If you are upset at our deficiencies, I urge you to channel that
frustration productively into improving it; I am happy to meet with you to
discuss joining the Board, as are the other members of the Board.

Sincerely,

Rachel Keeler

Association of Student Activities

January 2012 -- Present

(3) Group Recognition Deadline (2/19/2014)

The next group recognition cycle is February 19, 2014 at 11:59PM EDT. Those
who are interested in applying for a new student group should apply at <
http://web.mit.edu/asa/start/index.html<http://web.mit.edu/asa/start/index.html>
>.

If you have any questions, please contact <asa-groups at mit.edu>.

---------------------------------------

(4) LEF/ARCADE Deadline (3/3/2014)

The deadline to submit applications to the Large Event Fund (LEF) and the
Assisting Recurring Cultural And Diversity Events (ARCADE) fund is 3/3/2014
at 11:59PM EDT. This deadline is for events occurring between April 1, 2014
and June 30, 2014. The application and more information about the funds are
available online: <http://web.mit.edu/asa/resources/large-events.html>.

You are encouraged to meet with someone from the Student Activities Office
to discuss your application, particularly if it is for a new event or you
are making substantial changes to your event.  You MUST meet with the
Student Activities Office to discuss an event if it will involve paying a
speaker or performer.  You can contact Alana Hamlett, <ahamlett at mit.edu>,
or Joel Pettigrew, <joelp at mit.edu>, about scheduling an appointment.

You are also strongly encouraged to meet with the LEF/ARCADE board members
before submitting your application by scheduling an appointment with us
(contact the ASA Treasurer, <asa-treasurer at mit.edu>) or by visiting our
office hours.  Please check our online calendar, <
http://web.mit.edu/asa/about/office-hours.html>, for LEF/ARCADE office
hours, as well as general ASA office hours.

Please feel free to email <asa-exec at mit.edu> with any requests, questions,
or other inquiries.

Sincerely,

The ASA Executive Board