[ASA-Official] Anti-hazing forms (10/30), Space Allocation Application (11/6), and more

Rachel Meyer remeyer at MIT.EDU
Thu Oct 29 22:27:27 EDT 2009

Dear Student Group Officers,

Please take note of the following announcements:

1. Groups that missed the General Body Meeting: submit anti-hazing forms (due
October 30)
2. Office and storage space application form now available (due November 6)
3. Update on assigned bulletin boards
4. Rules for chalking around campus
5. Campus Activities Complex Newsletter
6. Submit blurbs about your groups to the MIT Admissions office (due November 2)

-----------------------

1. Groups that missed the General Body: submit anti-hazing forms

If your group has not yet turned in an anti-hazing form, please visit the
Student Activities Office and sign one by tomorrow - Friday October 30.  SAO is
located at W20-549 and is normally open weekdays from 9am to 5pm.  If you will
not be able to submit a form on time, then please email us at asa-exec at mit.edu
for an extension.

This is important for legal purposes and to show the ASA that your group is
still active.  If you do not complete this, then your group may face loss of
allocated resources, loss of access to funding, or derecognition.

A list of groups that have already submitted forms is
at:http://web.mit.edu/asa/rules/hazing-09-record.txt

-----------------------

2. Office and Storage Space application form now available

As announced at the General Body Meeting and required by the ASA policies,
office space and storage space are being re-allocated this year.  All groups
that want to have space for the next two years, even if they currently have
space, need to apply.  The online form is due by Friday November 6 at 11:59pm
and is now available at
http://web.mit.edu/asa/resources/office-space-alloc.html

The ASA Executive Board will also be setting up office hours to discuss the
allocation process before the applications are due.

Questions about the form or allocations in general should be sent to
asa-office at mit.edu.

We are also holding office hours next week to address any questions about the
application or the allocation process.  Time and location information will be
added as it becomes available to:
http://web.mit.edu/asa/resources/office-space-alloc.html

-----------------------

3. Update on assigned bulletin boards

Thank you to the many groups that have been using their boards effectively.

As a reminder to all groups with boards, you can lose your space at any time
during the school year if it is not being used properly.  The current ASA
Executive Board plans on implementing this by sending warnings to groups that
are not consistently covering their space.  You will then have two weeks to
update your board, or it will be re-allocated.  This is especially important
because we currently have a waiting list of groups who would like bulletin
board space.

To groups that have applied late for space or have appealed allocations, we will
allocate space to you as it becomes available (on a rolling basis).

More information about bulletin boards is available at:
http://web.mit.edu/asa/resources/bulletin-board-alloc.html

Questions about allocations and maintenance should be directed to
asa-boards at mit.edu.

-----------------------

4. Rules for chalking around campus

The ASA has reached an agreement with Facilities and the Campus Activities
Complex (CAC) to allow for chalking around campus.  It is important that groups
follow these rules.  Otherwise, Facilities and CAC may want to enforce stricter
restrictions on chalking.

The specific rules are as follows:
1. Student groups may use chalking to publicize events.
  a. Student groups may chalk campus pathways.
  b. Student groups may /not/ chalk the sides of buildings.
2. Student groups must use washable chalk.

-----------------------

5. Campus Activities Complex Newsletter

A copy of the fall Campus Activities Complex (CAC) Newsletter is posted at:
http://web.mit.edu/asa/temp/cac_newsletter_fa09.pdf

-----------------------

6. Submit blurbs about your groups to the MIT Admissions office (due November 2)

Hi everyone! Chris Peterson here from the Admissions Office. We have a SHINY new
TV to entrance and entice prospective students like a bug lamp. I'm working on
making a slideshow of cool MIT stuff for it. Here's the deal, though: I need
more content!

If you would be interested in promoting your group / organization / cult / clown
party to fresh prefrosh who have yet to overcommit, please send a few awesome
photos and a brief description of what your group does (including a link to
your website if you have it) to chris.peterson at mit.edu and I'll throw it into
rotation as soon as possible. This is one of those rare situations where
everyone wins, so please help me do my job so I can help you lure succulent and
unsuspecting prospectives into your grasp!

A preview of one of my slides is here, so you can see the sort of thing we're
looking for: http://web.mit.edu/asa/docs/demo_slide.png

Submissions by Monday, November 2 are preferred, but later submissions may still
be accepted.

Thanks!

Please feel free to email asa-exec at mit.edu with any requests, questions, or
other inquiries.