[WebPub] July 14 Meeting: Drupal Tips and Tricks

Lisa C Mayer lmayer at MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 12 10:09:54 EDT 2010

Hi WebPubbers,

This might be of interest to Drupal developers, if you want to go contact Andrew Hubble (andrew.t.hubble at gmail.com<mailto:andrew.t.hubble at gmail.com>) to get on the Lamont Library access list. You can't get into the library otherwise.

If anyone goes to the event, it would also be great if you could share materials, handouts, etc. (with speaker permission, of course) with WebPub.

July 14 Meeting: Drupal Tips and Tricks
WHEN:  Wednesday, July 14
TIME:  3:30 – 5:00 pm
WHERE:  Lamont Library Forum Room

Come spend Bastille Afternoon learning Drupal Tips and Tricks from OHO Interactive, a Cambridge development shop.  You can find more about OHO at http://www.oho.com/

Many schools across Harvard take advantage of Drupal’s open-source CMS. Some people have become proficient with Drupal, while others are still in the process of crafting their first sites. This presentation is intended to provide value to both audiences by presenting tips and tricks that will make your website more effective, efficient, and easier to manage.  Staff from OHO Interactive will discuss 4 topics:

Exploring Multiple Sites:
We will present several different approaches for creating ‘multisites’ within Drupal. Multisites are useful for when you want different
visual representations and/or ‘sub-brands’ in different parts of your site. Multisites can also be useful if you want to share or affiliate content between several sites.

Understanding Drupal’s Services Module:
Our goal is to present the Services Module within Drupal and explain how it works for branding external systems with the look and feel of your website.

Using Drupal’s SEO Modules:
SEO (search engine optimization) is clearly an important issue to understand and explore.  We will discuss SEO with specific regards to how Drupal modules can help. We’ll discuss several different modules and techniques that can have you well on your way to the top of most major search engines.

Helping with Theming:
Creating a solid theme within Drupal sets the foundation for everything else.  Starting with a good foundation is key, we’ll make some recommendations of where to start and how to build up.  We’ll also discuss some lessons learned about themes, sub-themes, and theme related modules.

-  Map of Lamont Library via the old map:
http://www.map.harvard.edu/level3.cfm?mapname=camb_allston&tile=F7&quadrant=D&series=NW

-  Map of Lamont Library via Peter Siebert's new
map:
http://www.map.harvard.edu/mapserver/campusmap.htm?ctrx=759993&ctry=2961096&level=8&layers=Campus%20Base,Map%20Text

Lisa C. Mayer
MIT -  IS&T -  DCAD