[TCCM] Sloth, Leisure, Love

Michael Medas mmedas at mit.edu
Mon Mar 6 10:35:43 EST 2023

Two Lectures Not to Be Missed!

March 16, 2023: Dr R.J. Snell, Witherspoon Institute

Sloth, Leisure, and Love: How to Live Well EVEN at University

We’re obsessed with racking up credentials and awards, fearful we’ll fall behind. It turns out we’re not majoring in physics or sociology so much as majoring in fear, terrified that we might fail at school and at life. So we’re busy and very, very, anxious. It turns out, though, this is actually a form of sloth (acedia), but genuine education starts with leisure and ends in love.

April 3, 2023:

Why Science Needs Faith:  Br Guy Consolmagno, SJ, B.S. & M.S. MIT, PhD University of Arizona

Logic and reason must always start with assumptions, and the assumptions behind science are, at their root,
religious assumptions. Our core beliefs not only determine how we expect the universe to work; just as
importantly they supply the motivation for the science we do, and indeed they determine why we as individuals choose to be scientists. We'll examine this theme from history to the present day.

Blessings and peace,

Fr Michael

Reverend Michael B. Medas, MSW
Catholic Chaplain | Director of Catholic Ministry
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
W11-012
40 Massachusetts Ave.
Cambridge, MA 02139

“Jesus loves you always, even when you don’t feel worthy.
When not accepted by others, even by yourself sometimes,
He is the one who always accepts you.  Only believe, you are precious to Him.
Bring all you are suffering to His feet, only open your heart to be loved by Him as you are.
He will do the rest.”  Saint Mother Teresa