[TCCM] Masses at MIT on Sunday likely cancelled

Daniel P Moloney dmoloney at mit.edu
Fri Mar 13 00:42:28 EDT 2020

(Please forward this message to people who you think aren’t on our list.)

Given the new information that undergraduates have to move out on Sunday, I suspect that MIT won’t allow us to hold Mass on campus this Sunday. I won’t know more until later today, but that’s definitely the vibe I’m getting.  Cardinal O’Malley has decided to keep all parishes open, which means that Catholics are still obligated to attend Mass, unless you are feeling sick (of course).

Besides, we all need to pray.

I’d advise everyone to make plans to attend Mass at a nearby parish. I’ll try to work out the possibility of holding a special Mass at St. Mary’s or another of the local parishes on Sunday (for example, at 5 pm). I’ll also try to be maximally available to hear confessions, including on Sunday.

Right now (barring changes, which should be on the websites) Masses are scheduled at
St. Mary’s near Central Square (https://stmaryoftheannunciation.com/?page_id=7) at the following times:
English Mass Schedule
Saturday: 4:00 p.m. (Vigil)
Sunday: 9:30 a.m. (Family Mass)
Horario de Misas en Español
Domingo: 12:00 p.m. & 7:30 p.m

St. Francis Chapel at the Prudential Center (https://www.omvusa.org/st-francis-chapel/)
Saturday Evening Vigil Masses:
4:00 pm, 5:30 pm
7:00 pm en español
Sunday
8:00 am, 9:15 am, 10:30 am, 11:45 am
1:15 pm en español
4:00 pm, 5:30 pm

St. Paul’s in Harvard Square (https://stpaulparish.org/)
Saturday Vigil
5:00 pm
Sunday Mass
7:30 am, 9:30 am
11:00 am
5:00 pm (through 3/15)

I was supposed to be working on a letter to go in the bulletin, but I’m thinking it will have to be done online for the near future. We’re working on adding a section to the TCC website (http://tcc.mit.edu) which will give information about what things will be available on campus (probably very little) and what will be available online. We’re hoping to offer robust offerings—including Bible studies, podcasts, homilies, suggested readings—while we are all dispersed. I want to be available for phone calls (my cell is below) and other forms of spiritual direction. And in case you start to miss me, my book will be coming out in a few weeks: https://www.ignatius.com/Mercy-P3601.aspx

Enjoy your extended spring break, and the new grading system. For those of you who are graduating, I’m broken up that I likely won’t be able to say goodbye to most of you in person. This May is my tenth anniversary of ordination, and my fifth anniversary at MIT. It is not ending the way I, or any of us had hoped. But God has a plan for all of this.

Please keep growing in your spiritual life, and keep the TCC in your prayers.

Yours in the peace of Jesus Christ,
Fr. Moloney

Fr. Daniel Patrick Moloney, Ph.D.
Catholic Chaplain, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
MIT Building W11-012
40 Massachusetts Ave.
Cambridge, MA 02139
617-252-1779 (office)