[TCCM] Mass this Sunday, with Baptisms and Confirmations!

Daniel P Moloney dmoloney at mit.edu
Thu Mar 12 14:23:02 EDT 2020

We’ve received word that we can celebrate Mass this weekend in the MIT Chapel. The Archdiocese of Boston has not cancelled Masses this weekend (so far, although as we all know, everything is fluid). So we’ll still have Mass. We will not be having coffee and donuts, or the St. Patrick’s Day party, just the religious events. Within Mass, we’ll also follow the CDC and Archdiocesan approved guidelines. Confessions will be available all morning in the Community Room of W11, from after the 9:30 Mass until around noon. I’ll also try to be available for Confessions after the 5 pm Mass.

In happy news, the Archdiocese has given me permission to accelerate the Baptisms, Confirmations, and Receptions into the Church for those who were going to have that happen during the Easter Vigil and (in the case of confirmations) during the Easter Season. We’ll do that at the 1 pm Mass on Sunday. We’ll do this even if the Archdiocese were to generally cancel Masses (which, as of now, to repeat, they haven’t done), just as a private celebration of the sacraments under extraordinary conditions.

Also, I want our help to offer to students (even non-Catholics) for short-term, acute financial needs. If you know someone who needs help paying for a ticket home (or for the rescheduling fees), or for food for a short time, they can contact us at catholic at mit.edu<mailto:catholic at mit.edu>. There’s obviously a limit on this, and I’d prefer that most of this help come in the form of “emergency loans”, but I’m gathering that the bureaucracy at MIT might not be as responsive as my checkbook can be. If you’d like to help with this, the best way today (3/12) is to donate to our 24-hour challenge (which multiplies the effect of the donation): https://mit24hourchallenge.mightycause.com/story/Tech-Catholic .

After today, the best way is to donate through our website: http://tcc.mit.edu/donate.

I’ll try to send out a general email when I have been able to figure out how the TCC will function going forward.

Fr. Daniel Patrick Moloney, Ph.D.
Catholic Chaplain, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
MIT Building W11-012
40 Massachusetts Ave.
Cambridge, MA 02139
617-252-1779 (office)