[TCCM] Fr. Moloney's departure from MIT

Allison A. Chang aachang at mit.edu
Wed Jun 10 19:00:51 EDT 2020

[cid:34b3b621-9691-4056-837b-329efe8c4698][X]

Dear Tech Catholic Community,

We are writing to you first and foremost to express solidarity with our Black brothers and sisters in standing against the racism that has persisted for centuries in this country and was glaringly exposed in recent national events. While we have not all experienced the same deep pain and fear, we all feel anger and sadness about the injustice and indignity our fellow human beings experience, and we are committed to making real change. As followers of Christ, we believe that every human being is a child of God and deserves respect.

We know that many of you were hurt and outraged by the letter sent by Fr. Moloney last weekend. This resulted in consideration and deliberation between leaders at MIT, members of the TCC Advisory Board, and the Archdiocese of Boston. As a result of that dialogue, Fr. Moloney has resigned effective immediately from his position as the Catholic Chaplain at MIT. Please see the attached announcement of this decision from the Archdiocese.

We echo the sentiments expressed in the Archdiocese's statement. We also acknowledge the additional sadness and shock of this news for the students who have grown in their faith during Fr. Moloney's time at MIT. At a forum organized by the TCC Council on Tuesday, we heard the courageous testimonies of many students and alumni illustrating the range of complex emotions felt by our community in recent days, and we hope that it is just the start of more discussion to help foster compassionate understanding and a way forward.

Between the COVID-19 pandemic and all the events precipitated by the senseless murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and countless others, there is significant anguish within our community. We encourage you to continue reaching out to each other, sharing your feelings, and praying together. In particular for the students, remember that your larger TCC family is here for you and thinking of you in this challenging time. If you would like to share your thoughts, please feel free to reach out to us at the email addresses below.

Best wishes for peace and safety,

Dr. Allison Chang G'12, Co-Chair, TCC Advisory Board, aachang at mit.edu<mailto:aachang at mit.edu>

Prof. William Green Jr., Co-Chair, TCC Advisory Board, whgreen at mit.edu<mailto:whgreen at mit.edu>