[TCCM] TCC community discussion groups and upcoming events

Carene T Umubyeyi cumubyey at mit.edu
Fri Jul 3 09:50:13 EDT 2020

Hi everyone,

The TCC council just wanted to send you all a message that you are in our thoughts and prayers. We also want to express our appreciation to everyone in the community who attended our past two forums and shared with us their thoughts and feelings, and thank you to those of you who have been reaching out to us since then. Over the past few days, we as a council have been discussing what we have been learning from you all in order to continue fostering a spirit of compassion in the TCC. On that note, here are a few initiatives we plan to start throughout the next couple of weeks:

Community Discussion Groups

First, our one of our Education Chairs Keith plans to start a discussion group in the TCC on what the Catholic Church has to say about issues of racial injustice in the United States and around the world, and how we as a community can engage with what’s happening in the US and better support one another in this time. More details about this will be sent out soon.

Second, we plan to start TCC class on Catholic Social Teaching open to the wider MIT community.
Catholic social teaching is rooted in Jesus’s command to truly love one another as God has loved us, and is based in the Church’s teaching that every human, from conception to natural death, is created in God’s image and has inherent dignity. In this class, we hope foster more discussions about the broader issues in the world and how to engage with them from a faith perspective.
More specific details about the content of the course will be sent out soon. In the meantime, we encourage everyone to check out these resources<http://www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-we-believe/catholic-social-teaching/> from the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) website on some of the specific themes and topics<http://www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-we-believe/catholic-social-teaching/seven-themes-of-catholic-social-teaching.cfm> of Catholic social teaching that may come up in our discussions.

We also hope these discussions will lead to future service opportunities for the TCC once we are back on campus.

Fellowship and Fun Events 😊
We know these past few weeks have been especially challenging, and much healing is taking place in our community. However, despite the challenges, we still think it’s important to come together, pray, be joyful and share life! Our weekly TCC rosaries are continuing every Friday, and the TCC Social Committee is planning game nights and other virtual fun events this summer, more details coming soon!

As always, we’re here for you all, and feel free to reach out to us if you would like to talk about anything.

In Christ,

Carene Umubyeyi
TCC Publicity Chair