[TCCM] Masses for Solemnity of the Ascension

Daniel P Moloney dmoloney at mit.edu
Wed May 29 10:37:56 EDT 2019

Thursday is the Solemnity of the Ascension of our Lord into Heaven.

In the Archdiocese of Boston (as well as in most of New England, New York, New Jersey, eastern PA, and Nebraska), this Holy Day of Obligation is celebrated on its proper Thursday, 40 days after Easter and 10 days before Pentecost. (In other US dioceses, as well as in some dioceses around the world, its celebration is moved to Sunday.)

In the MIT Chapel, we will celebrate Mass on Thursday at 12:05 pm and again at 5:15 pm. There will be other Ascension Thursday Masses around the city, starting this evening; check with local parishes for their special schedules.

A reminder of Church Law regarding Holy Days of Obligation:
"Can. 1247 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are obliged to participate in the Mass. Moreover, they are to abstain from those works and affairs which hinder the worship to be rendered to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s day, or the suitable relaxation of mind and body. "Can. 1248 §1. A person who assists at a Mass celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the feast day itself or in the evening of the preceding day satisfies the obligation of participating in the Mass."

I'd also like to remind everybody that it's traditional tomorrow to start praying a novena before the Feast of Pentecost, recalling the first novena in preparation for the coming of the Holy Spirit, as recounted in Acts 1:13-14:
"When they entered the city [after the Ascension] they went to the upper room where they were staying, Peter and John and James and Andrew, Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew, James son of Alphaeus, Simon the Zealot, and Judas son of James. All these devoted themselves with one accord to prayer, together with some women, and Mary the mother of Jesus..."

May the Holy Spirit come to our community and fill us with the fire of His Love!

Fr. Daniel Patrick Moloney, Ph.D.
Catholic Chaplain, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
MIT Building W11-012
40 Massachusetts Ave.
Cambridge, MA 02139
617-252-1779 (office)