[TCCM] 525, 600 Minutes: Time, Eternity, and Finding Value in Our (Very Short) Lives | Veritas Forum at MIT

Gwyneth A James gwynethj at mit.edu
Mon Mar 4 21:28:21 EST 2019

The Veritas Forum at MIT presents

525,600 Minutes:
Time, Eternity, and Finding Value in Our (Very Short) Lives

In a distracted modern age of ever-advancing economic opportunity, technological progression, and perceived urgency, the decision of how we should best use our time is becoming an increasingly complex one. Many in today’s busy Western cultures feel as though the decision itself is constantly being made for us by the technologies and schedules which rule our lives. While “wise” use of time may seem an apparently universal human virtue, questions concerning what valuable time usage actually looks like are rooted in a broad set of religious, cultural, moral, and economic factors which heavily bias our decision making in numerous ways. In the context of these timely considerations, the Veritas Forum at MIT presents its 2019 forum: “525,600 Minutes: Time, Eternity, and Finding Value in Our (Very Short) Lives”. The forum will further address the various factors which all converge at the nexus of time usage decision making, such as technology, faith, environment, and creativity.

SPEAKERS
Alan Lightman, Professor of the Practice of Humanities at MIT
Meghan Sullivan, Professor of Philosophy at Notre Dame

MODERATED BY
Doug Lauffenburger, Professor of Biological Engineering at MIT

Tuesday, March 5th, 2019
7:00-8:30 PM
10-250

FREE ADMISSION

Stay for refreshments offered immediately following the forum

Started at Harvard in 1992, Veritas Forums are hosted by coalitions of Christian fellowships, and secular partners, at over 50 leading schools, with the aim of engaging students and faculty in discussions of life’s hardest questions and the relevance of Christian perspectives to these issues. We welcome the diverse viewpoints of experts who wrestle with the big questions both intellectually and personally. Past presenters include Francis Collins, Peter Singer, Steven Pinker, Sir John Polkinghorne, and Cornel West.

**Join our FB event here<https://www.facebook.com/events/260378384682107/?notif_t=plan_edited&notif_id=1551112642650566>
Find more information and full speaker bios at veritas.org/mit<http://www.veritas.org/location/massachusetts-institute-of-technology/>