[TCCM] Events for the week of 10/18

Paul Harrison Elliott pelliott at MIT.EDU
Sun Oct 17 21:45:43 EDT 2004

This is a weekly email sent out to all members of MIT's Tech Catholic
Community (TCC) announcing the events of the upcoming week.

To unsubscribe use the list web page:

This information can generally be found on the TCC webpage:
http://web.mit.edu/tcc/www/

---------------------------
TCC Events for 10/18
---------------------------

- Council Meeting This Sunday
- Intramural (IM) Sports (Basketball Sign-up, Badminton game)
- Interfaith

- Interdenominational Bible Study
- French Interdenominational Bible Study
- Monday Night
- Weekly Prayer Schedule
- Eucharistic Adoration
- Mid-Week Mass Schedule

- Sunday Meal with Bread and Jam

---------------------------
Sign-ups and one-time events
---------------------------

- Council Meeting This Sunday (10/24 at 10:45am)
The October meeting to discuss November and long-term events will
be Sunday following the 9:30am Mass.  Please join us to discuss
exciting events and opportunities within TCC!  Questions?  Contact
Elizabeth (e_basha).

- IM Sports
IM Basketball is starting. Please email steve_e at mit.edu if you are
interested in playing on the TCC team.
Also, the next badminton game is tomorrow, Mon. at 9:30 pm. Please let
me know if you can't make it and we'll find a sub.

- Interfaith (Islam)
** Note that we have excluded the events on Monday nights (most of the
events) as they conflict with our Monday night program.
This Sunday, October 24 from 6-8pm: Spiritual biography and
autobiography
To prepare for the contemporary writing of Lauren Winner on
November 1st, this is a time to talk about the major earlier figures.
For example: Augustine, C.S. Lewis, Thomas Merton, and Albert
Schweitzer.
Contact: Fleming Ray at ftr at mit.edu
Location: TBA

---------------------------
Ongoing Events
---------------------------

- Interdenominational Bible Study
Hey guys, as promised we're gonna start getting the ball rolling on
this. The study would be topically based; each week we'd select a topic
of interest to discuss (i.e. Mary, the saints, authority of the church,
faith and works, etc. etc.). The discussion is deep and the questions
are often difficult, but it is an excellent way to grow in your
understanding of the faith.  We will be meeting for the first time
Sunday 10/17 at 2:00pm in the middle of the Student Center.  We may
start out meeting every other week.  If you'd like more information,
contact Joel (joel_f at mit.edu).

- French Interdenominational Bible Study
Voila un petit courriel, pour vous annoncer que nous sommes un petit
groupe de francophones a nous reunir hebdomadairement pour discuter des
tresors caches d'un livre, vieux de plusieurs millenaires et pourtant
toujours d'actualite: la Bible. Que vous n'ayez jamais ouvert une Bible
ou que vous soyez docteur en theologie, vous etes tous bienvenus a ces
discussions informelles! Si vous etes interesses, venez nous rejoindre
les mercredis a 18h00, dans la Chem Eng lounge (66-201).

- Monday Nights
This coming Monday will be a dinner and theology night. Fr. Cessario,
our speaker, is giving a talk entitled "Conscience and Truth and he has
suggested that people might want to read Veritatis Splendor 54-64,
http://www.vatican.va/edocs/ENG0222/__P6.HTM
before Monday night. As always, great free food and awesome people - 7-9
in w-11 MDH.

- Prayer This Week
Liturgy of the Hours - M-F 7:30am, 6:15pm, Sat 7:00am, 6:00pm, Sun
8:30am, 6:15pm.
Rosary - daily 15 minutes after the start of Liturgy of the Hours.
Meet in Chapel.  Contact Joel (joel_f at mit.edu) for more information.
If you don't see us in the chapel we are probably either downstairs
or just outside the chapel.

- Eucharistic Adoration
Join us Tuesday at 7:00pm for Eucharistic Adoration in the Chapel.

- Mid-Week Mass
Join us Tuesday and Friday for Mass from 12:05pm - ~12:35pm in the
Chapel.

---------------------------
Volunteer Opportunities
---------------------------

- Sunday Meal with Bread and Jam
November Volunteer Event
SUNDAY MEAL WITH BREAD & JAMS
Bread & Jams is a charitable organization that assists people at
transitions in their lives when they find themselves at risk or
homeless.  TCC will be helping to prepare and serve their weekly Sunday
Meal.  We would like to have 8-10 volunteers per shift.
* DATE: Sunday, November 7
* LOCATION: St. James' Episcopal Church, 1991 Mass Ave., Porter Square
* MEET: 30 min before assigned shift at Kendall outbound T entrance
* TIME: (sign up for 1 or more shifts)  2:00 - 4:00 pm; 4:00 - 5:30
pm;  5:30 - 7:30 pm
* SIGN-UP: Contact Christine (chrisng at mit.edu) with your preferred shift
time(s).