[TCCM] Events for the week of 11/29

Paul Harrison Elliott pelliott at MIT.EDU
Sun Nov 28 20:52:12 EST 2004

This is MIT's Tech Catholic Community's (TCC) weekly email.
To unsubscribe use the list web page:
For up-to-date information: http://web.mit.edu/tcc/www/

---------------------------
TCC Events for 11/29
---------------------------

- Council Meeting (12/5)
- Advent Reconciliation / Confession Service (12/7)
- Seasonal Mass / Christmas Party (12/11)
- February Retreat (02/04)

- Monday Night
- Weekly Prayer Schedule
- Eucharistic Adoration
- Mid-Week Mass Schedule

- CASPAR Towel Collection at Mass
- MIT Giving Tree
- St. Paul Youth Ministries

- December 2 - Talk by Dr. Peter Kreeft

---------------------------
Sign-ups and one-time events
---------------------------

- Council Meeting (12/5)
Please join us for our last council meeting of the semester at 10:45am
on 12/5 in W11 MDR!  We will be planning our Christmas events and
discussing next semester!  Contact Elizabeth (e_basha) with any
questions!

- Advent Reconciliation / Confession Service (12/7)
December 7th at 7:00 PM in the MIT Chapel.  Service will include music,
scripture, a communal examination of conscience, and the opportunity for
individual confession.

- Seasonal Mass / Christmas Party (12/11)
Mass will be at 8:00 PM in the Chapel.  The party will start at 9:00 PM
in the W11 Main Dining Room.

- February Retreat (02/04)
Our winter retreat will be in Bethel, Maine from the 4th to the 6th.
Please keep the weekend free and watch for further details.

---------------------------
Ongoing Events
---------------------------

- Monday Nights
TCC Monday Night: 7-9 in w11 MDH, come hear Anne, the TCC intern talk
about her experiences in Nepal. Also, come to enjoy a free meal.
Questions? Want to volunteer to cook? E-mail aposada at mit.edu

- Prayer This Week
Liturgy of the Hours - M-F 7:15am, 6:15pm, Sat 7:00am, 4:00pm, Sun
8:30am, 6:15pm.
Rosary - daily 15 minutes after the start of Liturgy of the Hours.
Meet in Chapel.  Contact Joel (joel_f at mit.edu) for more information.
If you don't see us in the chapel we are probably either downstairs
or just outside the chapel.

- Eucharistic Adoration
* Join us Tuesday 7:00pm for Eucharistic Adoration in the
Chapel.
* Wednesday Eucharistic Adoration- Chapel 7-8:30- So never know what to
do during silent adoration? After 10 minutes do you just have nothing
else to pray? Do you really want to spend more time in front of the
Blessed Sacrament? This Wednesday, Eucharistic adoration will be
accompanied by praise and worship music. So come by and sing your heart
out while praising Jesus who will most certainly be there. Contact
joel_f at mit.edu or aposada at mit.edu if you have questions.

- Mid-Week Mass
Join us Tuesday and Friday for Mass from 12:05pm - ~12:35pm in the
Chapel. (No Mass on Friday)

---------------------------
Volunteer Opportunities
---------------------------

- CASPAR Towel Collection at Mass
        We will be circulating a second collection basket during Mass to
raise money for CASPAR, an emergency shelter in Cambridge serving
homeless men and women with substance abuse problems.  100% of the
second collection will go towards purchasing bath towels for the
shelter, which provides beds for 80 people per night.
        The CASPAR collection will start on Nov. 14, and run every
Sunday until December 5.  Another option is to bring new or used clean
bath towels to Mass, where there will be a collection box available.
        Questions? Email Christine (chrisng at mit.edu).

- MIT Giving Tree
The MIT Giving Tree allows us to provide holiday gifts to needy children
in the Cambridge and Boston area. The Public Service Center and
Panhellenic Association work with 15 local agencies to collect gift
requests from hundreds of children. Each gift request is then
individually matched to a Giving Tree participant, making the Giving
Tree a more personalized experience for everyone. For more information
about gift suggestions and participating agencies, see
http://web.mit.edu/mitpsc/programs/givingtree
	Each child's age, gender, and gift request (e.g. clothes, books, games,
etc) are written on the label.  If you are interested in buying a gift
(in the $10-25 range) for a child, email Christine (chrisng at mit.edu),
with your gender preference and age (available ages - 3, 10, 12, and
13), and you will receive an assignment via email.
	Bring your label and gift to wrap at the TCC Christmas Craft Fair on
Monday, DECEMBER 6, or bring your label and unwrapped gift to Mass on
Dec. 5.

- St. Paul Youth Ministries
The St. Paul Youth Ministries is a group of TCC members and other
interested Catholics that are interested in retreat ministry,
particularly to youth. We usually spend Fall terms preparing ourselves
spiritually through retreats for ourselves and also through weekly Bible
studies and making sure members are well equipped to participate in
giving retreats to youth from different schools and parishes in the
Boston area which we usually do during the Spring terms (this includes
anything from giving talks, to acting in skits, to leading discussion
groups, etc.). If this sounds like something you'd be interested in,
send me an email (joel_f at mit.edu) and I can get you more information.
God bless.