[Tango-A] NA-E: NYC Tango Book Review

Angela Maria Tango angelamariatango at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 16:59:54 EDT 2010

Hola tangueros/as

In the event that you are planning to getaway and fly south to Buenos Aires,
I would like to share with you my review of "Tango Lover's Guide to Buenos
Aires: Insights and Recommendations" by Migdalia Romero.

I really found this book to be a little gem. In fact, I wish I had had it
when I first went to BsAs several years ago. I remember, as the author
states how "I floundered around for too long" trying to figure out the city
and where to go. Just like her, by the time I figured out what to do almost
a week had passed. This guide would have spared me the grief.

It is filled with valuable information to help "tango junkies" like myself,
to make the most of their limited and precious experience in BsAs. It will
also help those people who can spend lots of time, to feel the music and the
dance outside of the regular milongas in bars, clubs, restaurants and
cultural centers where most portenos attend. The book covers milongas to
dance, the schools and the sought after highly respected teachers; stores to
shop for music, shoes, clothes and tango accessories.

But what makes this guide so special were the vignettes that the author
presented derived from her personal experience learning the milonga
etiquette so not to be embarrassed, and trying to understand what makes
the milonguero in BsAs so sought after by women and respected by others. The
portrait of the milonguero that the author paints indeed is special.

Although I am a native Spanish speaker and as an experienced dual-language
immersion teacher, I can also see how this guide would support the people
who do not speak Spanish, for it presents, the "sprinkling" of Spanish
vocabulary that travelers, shoppers and dancers would need to feel
comfortable in the Spanish world of tango. This book is all about tango in
the Buenos Aires experience.

A la pista!
Angela Maria Suero