[Tango-A] NA-C: Workshops Aug. 8-10 with Damian Lobato in Kansas City

kmcgeeney@att.net kmcgeeney at att.net
Thu Jul 17 17:09:02 EDT 2008

August 8 - 10 we will be having workshops with a great tango dancer and teacher from Buenos Aires, Damian Lobato. Damian started dancing in 1991 with renowned milonguero masters, including “El Pibe Palermo” (the former partner of Carmencita Calderon). After 8 years of dancing this style, he started training with Gustavo Naveira and Mariano “Chicho” Frumboli, and began teaching tango in different cities around Argentina until 2002. In 2003, 2004 and 2005 he was invited to tour Central America and Europe. Together with Dutch and French dancers he took part in “Tangokobinat”, a tango show presented in Germany in February 2005. In 2006 he assisted Fabian Salas in CITA, the annual tango convention in Buenos Aires. Since May 2006, he has been teaching extensively in Europe in such places as Scotland, England, Holland, Italy, and Spain and in 20 cities in the USA.

Damian’s dance is characterized by a masterful combination of nuevo tango elements with traditional tango aesthetics. Seamless transitions between the various elements and a keen sense of musicality are emphasized in his dance and are applied in his teaching and training. (You can see Damian dancing in quite a few videos on youtube.)

We will have an all-levels class and a dance on Friday evening, 2 classes and an evening dance on Saturday, and 2 classes on Sunday followed by our weekly milonga.

Prices are $25 for one class, $45 for 2, $85 for all 4 Sat. & Sun. classes (including the Sat. dance), $100 for the whole weekend (including both dances). The Friday and Saturday dances are $5 each with the purchase of at least one class, or $10 without.

A limited number of private lessons is available so if you are interested in taking one, let me know soon. They are $70/hr.

I will be sending out more details in the near future. Hope to see you here!

Kathy McGeeney
kmcgeeney at att.net