[Starcluster] upgrading AMI breaks SGE

Mark J. Pearrow mjp at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 8 08:33:12 EST 2010

To be a bit more specific, after I aptitude safe-upgrade a stock ami-0f30d166, SGE is still running just fine until I either reboot the system or build a new AMI from it and launch an instance with it.

The starcluster -s script sits there for a while when it ought to be setting up SGE, but never appears to do so successfully. Then, when I log in to that instance, none of the sge_* binaries are running. If I start qmaster manually, I can attempt, at least, to submit a job, but the the error that localhost  "is no submit host" (how snarky :) )

I'll see if the system logfiles are helpful at all.

mjp