[QIP-Sem] QIP seminar, Thu 11/1, 3pm, 6C-442, Sahel Ashhab

Peter Shor shor at math.mit.edu
Thu Nov 1 12:20:38 EDT 2007

MIT Quantum Information Processing seminar
Thursday 11/1 at 3pm in 6C-442

Sahel Ashhab (RIKEN)

Landau-Zener crossings in quantum-computing systems

Abstract:

I will talk about two applications of the Landau-Zener problem in quantum computing systems. In the first part of the talk, I will discuss the effect of noise on adiabatic quantum computing (AQC). The main message of this part is that noise effects should be treated more seriously in the study of AQC than has been done in the past. In the second part of the talk, I will present a geometric picture for understanding recent experiments on strongly driven two-level systems. In such a system, one can understand the dynamics as being constructed from a sequence of simple, finite rotations. In addition to its conceptual simplicity, this approach allows the derivation of quantitative results where other theoretical methods fail.