[QIP-Sem] Special QIP Seminar, Thursday Nov. 1 at 3pm

Sergio O. Valenzuela sov at MIT.EDU
Thu Oct 25 11:01:52 EDT 2007

Prof. Franco Nori and his collaborator Dr. Sahel Ashhab are visiting MIT. Sahel
will give a QIP talk in the Cosman Seminar Room 6C-442 (Center for Theoretical
Physics), Thursday, November 1 at 3:00 p.m. See abstract below.

There will be time to meet with the visitors after the talk or during Friday.
Please, contact Lori L. Hyke (lori at MIT.EDU) or me if you'd like to meet with
them.

Best Regards, Sergio

Sergio O. Valenzuela
Research Scientist
Francis Bitter Magnet Laboratory
Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
sov at mit.edu, 617-407-5719

Speaker: Dr. Sahel Ashhab
Frontier Research System, RIKEN (The Institute of Physical and Chemical
Research), Japan

Title: Landau-Zener crossings in quantum-computing systems

Abstract: I will talk about two applications of the Landau-Zener problem in
quantum computing systems. In the first part of the talk, I will discuss the
effect of noise on adiabatic quantum computing (AQC). The main message of this
part is that noise effects should be treated more seriously in the study of AQC
than has been done in the past. In the second part of the talk, I will present a
geometric picture for understanding recent experiments on strongly driven
two-level systems. In such a system, one can understand the dynamics as being
constructed from a sequence of simple, finite rotations. In addition to its
conceptual simplicity, this approach allows the derivation of quantitative
results where other theoretical methods fail.