[QIP-Sem] QIP Seminar at Northeastern University

Timothy F. Havel tfhavel at MIT.EDU
Sat Sep 17 12:30:09 EDT 2005

The following QIP seminar, which will take place on Tuesday September
20 at 14:00 hours in 509 Lake Hall (Northeastern University), may be
of interest to the readers of this list.

Norm Compression Inequalities for Block Matrices
(Northeastern University's Probability, Statistics and Applications Seminar)

by Koenraad Audenaert (Imperial College London)

ABSTRACT

I consider inequalities for the Schatten q-norms, which are
non-commutative generalistions of the l_q norms. Given a block
partitioned matrix, one can try and bound the q-norm of the matrix
itself in terms of the q-norms of the blocks. The inequalities that
arise can be called norm compression inequalities, because the bound
is stated in terms of the elements of the norm compression of the
matrix, which is what you get when replacing every block of the
matrix by its norm. In this talk I give an overview of previously
known bounds of this kind. I then present some norm compression
bounds for positive semidefinite 2X2 block matrices, complementing
earlier work by Chris King. Finally, I give an overview of various
conjectured norm compression inequalities, and discuss some of the
implications their validity would have in quantum information theory.

See also math.FA/0505680