[QIP-Sem] MIT Quantum Information Processing Seminar Announcements

QIP-Sem Mailing List qip-sem-own at MIT.EDU
Sat Nov 13 03:03:39 EST 2004

This Monday's MIT QIP seminar will take place on Nov. 15 at 16:00 in
4-237, and features:

On the Duality between Quantum States and Quantum Maps

by Karol Zyczkowski (Perimeter Inst., Canada and Jagiellonian Univ., Poland)

ABSTRACT

Using the concept of the dynamical matrix and the Jamiolkowski
isomorphism we explore the relation between the set of quantum
operations (dynamics) and the set of density matrices acting on an
extended Hilbert space (kinematics). An analogous relation is
established between the classical maps and an extended space of the
discrete probability distributions.

We investigate the space of quantum operations, as well as the larger
space of maps which are positive, but not completely positive.  and
present a constructive decomposability criterion. Furthermore, we
define and analyze a class of unistochastic operations, determined by
unitary matrices of an extended dimensionality.

The following MIT QIP seminar will take place on FRIDAY, Nov. 19 at
14:00 hours in room 4-153, and features:

Testing the Limits of Quantum Mechanics: Motivation, State of Play,
and Prospects

by Anthony Leggett (Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)

ABSTRACT

I present the motivation for experiments which attempt to
generate,and verify the existence of,quantum superpositions of two or
more states which are by some reasonable criterion "macroscopically"
distinct,and show that various a priori objections to this program
made in the literature are flawed.I review the extent to which such
experiments currently exist in the areas of free-space molecular
diffraction,magnetic biomolecules, quantum optics and Josephson
devices,and sketch possible future lines of development of the
program.

NB: There will be no QIP seminar on Monday, Nov. 22nd.