[QIP-Sem] MIT QIP Seminar Reminder

QIP-Sem Mailing List qip-sem-own at MIT.EDU
Sun Nov 2 15:48:17 EST 2003

This week's MIT quantum information processing seminar will take
place as usual on Monday, November 3rd at 16:00 hours in room 4-270,
and features:

Quantum Computers that Fix Themselves

by Dave Bacon (postdoctoral scholar in the Institute for Quantum
Information at CalTech)

ABSTRACT

There are distinct physical reasons why classical computers act as
naturally error free devices.  Not all classical systems can act as
robust classical computers.  Similarly we should not expect all
quantum systems to be useful for quantum computation.  More
interestingly we can ask the question of whether there exist (or
whether we can engineer) naturally fault-tolerant quantum computers.
In this talk I will discuss recent progress toward this goal and
present a sequence of examples which possess many of the properties
of a naturally fault-tolerant quantum computer.

Note there will be no seminar next week (Veteran's Day).