[Purple-Blurb] Jesper Juul Monday on videogame making and videogame theory

Nick Montfort nickm at nickm.com
Thu Oct 23 09:22:58 EDT 2008

Dear Purple Blurbers,

This coming Monday (October 27) at 6pm, Jesper Juul, who is now working at
the Singapore-MIT GAMBIT Game Lab, will speak about his experiences
creating videogames. Jesper is very well-known as a videogame theorist;
he's written Half-Real: Video Games Between Real Rules and Fictional
Worlds (MIT Press, 2005) and is finishing a book on casual games. But he
develops games, too, including a delightful matching-time game that was a
project while he was also studying the history of these sorts of games and
theorizing them.

On Monday we'll have the rare chance to hear in depth about how the
practice of making games, and the literal and more figurative writing that
is involved in doing this, influences his theoretical understanding, and
vice-versa.

Our meeting on Monday is in the Trope Tank (14N-233). The last Purple
Blurb with Steve Meretzky has a special location, but we are back in our
usual one this time:

  Jesper Juul
  Monday
  Oct 27