[OWW-SC] new user page genration

Jason Kelly jasonk at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 15 14:56:10 EST 2008

We'll be having a fair number of new users coming on the site due to
Spring classes -- reshma made some comments on this page:
http://openwetware.org/wiki/OpenWetWare_talk:Software/User_management

that I wanted to make sure people saw:

"In watching new users who've come on since the auto-generation of
user pages, I've noticed that there still seems to be some reluctance
by new users to actually edit their own pages despite the message
inviting them to do so. I wonder if we should instead populate
people's user pages with an outline of a page e.g., the structure
found at OpenWetWare:Getting started 2 for example. I think it is
actually easier for people to edit a page with some structure and fill
in the blanks etc. What do people think? We could try it for a while
and see how it goes?"

I think this might be true, though I know Julius was keeping an eye on
new users pages for awhile after the change.

Julius, what do you think about moving the content on this page:
http://openwetware.org/wiki/UserPageDefaultContentText

To the talk page generated for the user, and having the actual user
page just be a wire frame that they can easily fill in?

thanks,
jason