[OWW-SC] POWW!

John Cumbers johncumbers at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 13:10:36 EST 2008

I agree, perhaps separating the content management idea, trying it out on
PLOS content first sounds like a better idea,
some good ideas,
John

On Jan 4, 2008 12:52 PM, Austin Che <austin at csail.mit.edu> wrote:

> > read and study something in detail, mainly because viewing PDF's on
> screen
> > sucks, viewing wiki pages is somewhat better and the PLOS on-line format
> is
> > good, but I think we're missing the main point.
>
>    I actually think PDFs online are easier to read than wikis.
>
> > We need a way to replicate the things that we like about reading things
> on
> > paper, in a digital way so that people wanting to study the content,
> want to
> > read it on-line instead of printing it.   I have some ideas for tracking
> the
>
>    This a good idea but I think is quite separate from the idea of a
>    POWW journal. We don't need a journal to do any of these things.
>
> > Perhaps the main article could be a traditional wiki page, but tagged so
> > that the content could be scrapped into the different forms?
>
>    plos has a xml format for their content. If we just wanted to work
>    on the easy online reading of content, we could begin by creating
>    a front-end for plos content and displaying their articles in a
>    friendly way.
>
>    I think a POWW journal has more possibilities in actually changing
>    the way the publishing process works rather than just the final
>    form of the content.
>
>    Some ideas:
>    - All peer reviews are public, on the wiki, and reviewers get
>    credit
>    - A better credit, authorship system at least for who wrote an
>    article on the wiki. If I see an interesting fact/sentence in an
>    article, I should be able to easily figure out who wrote that and
>    should contact to get more info.
>    - Continually evolving articles
>    - Article comments/discussions being tracked with an article
>    - Of course, openness in everything
>
> --
> Austin Che           <austin at csail.mit.edu>          (617)253-5899

John Cumbers,  Graduate Student
Biology and Medicine
Brown University, Box G-W
Providence, Rhode Island, 02912, USA
Tel USA: +1 401 523 8190,  Fax: +1 401 863-2166
UK to USA: 0207 617 7824